Sunday, May 12, 2013

En Route

[Packing]

Before... 
Getting ready to go was no less hectic than anticipated, perhaps even more so. I finished final exams, packed up my dorm room in 3 hours, and stuffed everything I'd shortly need to repack in a suitcase in my car until the windows were pretty well blocked. That night all I wanted was to just lay around, so I did. I should have
begun packing immediately the next morning, but of course I did not. Instead I drove around finding a locally-made gift for my host mother, and to Walmart to pick up some last-minute supplies/candy. [Note for Students 1]

I didn't seriously begin packing until after dinner on the last night in the States (big mistake), so things got
After!
pretty frantic as my departure time loomed. My boyfriend took pity on my haphazard clothes rolling and offered to repack most of them for me, freeing up enough space to permit me to overpack my bag by 11 pounds! My mom watched and chuckled as I faced deep internal struggles the morning of my flight like choosing between a jar of protein hair mask and my jewelry box (hair mask won). Eventually, after about a half dozen of such struggles, I got the weight of my bag down to a measly 48 pounds. [Note 2]

[Stupid things I did en route]

  1. Not weighing my bag until the morning of my departure, so I when I needed to remove 11 pounds of things everything was really rushed, and I ended up accidentally doing things like packing two hair dryers but no shampoo. 
  2. Waving goodbye to my parents, getting through airport security, then promptly sitting down to cry. This isn't stupid per say, but it felt like it. But I guess it's just because this is the longest I will have been away from home consecutively!
  3. Hitting my head on the airplane ceiling, multiple times.
  4. Assuming my wallet had been stolen on the airport tram before I actually looked for it.
  5. Because Delta has apparently switched to using really thin paper instead of the satisfying cardstock that boarding passes used to be made of, I accidentally crumpled up and almost disposed of my second boarding pass. 
    Still looks like a receipt...

[Introspection]

I am writing this post on my flight to San Jose, so I have rather procrastinated on this whole introspection thing that API (the host organization of my program) has really recommended doing before arriving. They
made a cute form called "Letter to Yourself," so I will answer some of the questions from that, so that I can give a better understanding of me and why I'm doing this program. 

Question One: What are my main goals?

I think my biggest goal is to attain fluency in Spanish. I have been studying it for 7 years, but it has always eluded me simply because immersion is really the only way to get fluent. 

Next, as per the title of this blog, I am really hoping to understand the phrase "pura vida." The whole concept of trying to understand another culture besides your native one is really integral to the point of studying abroad. I am certain that this goal will shape the way I approach new environments and other people for the rest of my life.

Beyond that, I also want to maintain a connection with why I want to become a doctor. As part of the program, I will spend time weekly attending lectures by local healthcare professionals or practicing the medical terminology from class in a health clinic. Besides teaching me the vocabulary and Spanish skills, I'm hoping that this portion of the program will also expose me to the idea of a career as a general practitioner.

Finally, there's also the universal component to any study abroad program of pushing the boundaries of my personal comfort zone.

Question Two: What will I miss the most about home?

The answer to this one is certainly "food." It's just such a unique facet to every culture that it's one of the most surefire indicators that "we're not in Kansas anymore, Toto." Also I'm afraid that I will continue to not like corn tortillas, even authentic ones...

Question Three: What will I miss the least about home?

Something that is very integral to American culture is the idea that "time is money, don't waste it," and a lot of people lead their lives accordingly. There is an additional pressure on students to always be doing something. In four years we are expected to complete a (ostensibly) rigorous course of study, "find" ourselves (I didn't know I was missing), choose a career, et cetera ad nauseum. This is, suffice to say, sometimes exhausting, and I am hoping that the Costa Rica culture will teach me something about how to relax and appreciate the flow of time.

[Notes for Students]

1. There are a few things I would really recommend to the space-savvy student, such as this TSA-approved 3 fluid oz. plastic bottle (97 cents, Walmart). My trip will be 7 weeks long and I still won't need more than 3 oz. of many things, so when you find yourself trying to cut down on weight/space, use the bottles. 

2. Here are some other strategies I found out the hard way while packing in the last 24 hours:
  • Find a way to move cosmetics into smaller containers. They are really heavy... I had to use some of the bottles I mentioned earlier to pack some detergent for last-minute sink laundry and after-sun lotion. I had to leave other things at home because the bottle was simply too heavy to justify packing it. 
  • Roll your clothes. This definitely cuts down on size, and it allegedly keeps clothes less wrinkly than they would get through packing them folded. The only downfall is that by saving space you might easily find yourself with an overweight bag like I did.
  • Utilize the pockets on your suitcase. It really helps to organize certain things, such as having a pocket specifically for underwear or hair products. Also those weird shapes make it easier to fit clothes more evenly. But again, it might really add to the weight.
  • Remember you can buy it when you get there (probably). I had a hard time applying this one myself, just because it's so counterintuitive to not pack everything you need. But when you have such strict size and weight limits on luggage, you really have to prioritize and pack what will be difficult or extra expensive to buy at your destination. 
  • TSA liquid bags are supposed to be quarts, not gallons. I'm sure the enforcement depends on the airport, but the official 3-1-1 TSA rule for liquids states a quart-sized bag (about 8" x 7.5") is to be used.

No comments:

Post a Comment