Saturday, May 4, 2013

El Comienzo (the beginning)


If one attempts to research Costa Rica, even a little bit, all of the web pages end up 
blurring together and just looking like this:
(Non-professional artist's rendering)
"Pure life"... ok? Wikipedia tells me it’s “a greeting or a farewell, as an answer expressing that things are going well, or as a way of giving thanks.” Half-wondering if it makes any more sense backwards, I kept investigating this cute phrase that makes its way into blogs/articles about Costa Rica the way running scenes make their way into Tom Cruise movies—inevitably. One search gave way to many, and while I didn’t get much more help on that matter than Wikipedia’s paltry paragraph, here are some of the unrelated findings:
·         My fears of zip-line-induced flesh-eating bacteria are confirmed
·         Being so close to the Equator, Costa Rica doesn't really have different seasons
·         “Tico time,” often being 5-15 minutes late to things, doesn't apply to class (figures)

Ultimately, I will just have to wait out the remaining week until I arrive to begin interviewing experts (i.e. locals in San Joaquin de Flores). Speaking of which, I should perhaps backtrack a bit and do some introducing.

Introduction

So my name is Grace Oliver, I'm a sophomore Biology major from Arkansas. This isn't exactly "who I am" but it's a good place to start! This is my first crack at blogging, and my goal with it is to tell the stories of any and all (Well, most. Let's be honest here.) traveling mishaps and marvels while also helping readers learn about Costa Rica, maybe even in preparation for their own voyage there.
The least-corny way for me to describe who I am is probably by example, so I'll just let my demi-neuroticisms speak for themselves as I describe some of the things I've been doing so far to prepare for my Spanish for Medical Professions program.

If you're wondering where all the pictures are, there aren't many yet. Copyright laws are really confusing, so I will only use photos I take myself.

Preparation


Unfortunately, planning a study abroad program is not as romantic or spontaneous as any excursion in a movie. This process began back in September for me, when I first selected this program as my perfect fit and began applying for grants through my university—a process that only recently concluded. I have been very lucky with my scholarship awards, and I am so grateful to my university and API both for making this trip a reality much more readily than my checking account would have. [Note for Students #1 (see bottom)]

The big hurdle besides applications has been the logistics of the trip, namely fitting it into the plans of school and summer. Something I love about this program is that it begins so soon after my spring semester courses end. Picture the tunnel that is finals week. It's dark in here. Instead of the metaphorical train of an impending boring summer coming to meet me, I have the glittering light of a study abroad program! Something I also am less crazy for about this program is that it begins so soon after my spring semester courses end. I have three days to move out of my dorm room, apologize to my mom for missing Mother's Day, and find myself in SJO airport. But the bustle is pretty exciting, to be honest. I can pretend it's a reward for surviving finals.

Through all the vaccinations [Note 2], ticket booking, rereading of my acceptance booklet information,
sunscreen purchasing, et cetera, I feel a bit overwhelmed sometimes. There is still so much to do before I fly out of my tiny local airport ("It looks like someone with a house out there said 'Sure, you guys can just land your planes out back!'" - Mike Birbiglia, honest comedian), but I am still so thrilled. I still haven't packed anything at all, but the loose ends are being tied off, school is drawing to a close, and my airline ticket is becoming less and less refundable! Everything is pretty hectic for now, but hopefully I will post again soon about my mental preparations.


[Notes for Students]
1. If you are planning on participating in study abroad: APPLY FOR SCHOLARSHIPS! Fill out every scholarship application you can get your hands, do the best you can, and wait patiently as you receive much more than you might have imagined. You may not get the maximum award amount, because most scholarship committees prefer to give more students smaller awards than to give fewer students fatter checks. A tip to make your application excellent is to avoid the hackneyed topics: you want to see the world because it would be like, SO COOL... Don't talk about how it'll probably be super duper fun and stuff, talk about what will change about you and what you want to change, and why the program you chose is the best thing to make that happen.


2. If you know your study abroad destination, go immediately to your school's health clinic to discuss your vaccination options. Shots are ow-y, but the earlier the better: your immune system will have longer to develop the antibodies that protect you. For reference, I got a vaccine for Hepatitis A (spread by contaminated water and uncooked fruit) and tetanus (spread by manure-contaminated soil in a wound; these antibodies last 8-10 years, so the booster you got in elementary school will probably expire around your sophomore year). Also check if malaria is present in your host country, so that you have enough time and money to get sufficient medications.

No comments:

Post a Comment